Skip to main content

"The Best of the Best" - Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant

Members of their Chapter’s elite 1st Company Veterans, 
each of these vastly experienced Space Marines 
has fought to preserve the Imperium across uncounted worlds.



Hello one and all, welcome back to your Friday fix of The Art of Caesura!

I mentioned, in the reflective intro to last week's post, that I have been thinking about my underpinning goal for this year. 

"Live like the kind of person who is making the most out of their life."

I am going to re-word it slightly:

"Live like the kind of person who is actively engaged in their life."

When I first wrote that goal, I phrased it as "Live like the kind of person who is more in control of their life." It didn't quite get across the feeling I was looking for, neither did the one above that I had amended it too. But after a bit more time and reflection, I think my newly phrased goal most accurately portrays what I am aiming for: to be a more active participant in my life rather than passively letting it pass me by. I am happy to say that so far, one quarter of the way through the year (and with lots of reading and deep introspection), I am living this way more and more. 

Let me set my deep ruminations to the side now so that I can tell you about my Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant!


Last week we looked at how I painted my other two Bladeguard Veterans. There is a tremendous amount of overlap between them and their leader here. So today, rather than reproduce everything I talked about last week, I will comment on the elements that differ. 


For all of the sergeants in my Black Templars army (so far only my Assault Intercessor Sergeant, although also my Sword Brother who is sort of a sergeant) two ways that I am differentiating them from the other members of the squad is to have them helmetless and also paint their pauldrons black instead of white. 



Again like the Sword Brother before him, I didn't love this guy's fohawk hairdo, so I decided to sculpt him a kind of swept over Mohawk like Thomas Jane's character from the expanse. 


I would consider my Green Stuff skills to be somewhat remedial, but hair is dead easy. 

More "Flock of Seagulls" 



With the hair sculpted, I moved on to painting the face. 


I start with a basecoat of 3:1 Cadian Fleshtone : Wraithbone.



Then I subtly glaze around the eyes and lower parts of the cheeks with pure Cadian Fleshtone.



I then add S75 Indian Shadow to Cadian Fleshtone (approx 1:3) and glaze this into the recesses and lower face. 




Then I mix Doombull Brown, Cadian Fleshtone and a tiny touch of Mephiston Red and glaze this warm tone on the cheeks and temples. 


Then I tend to paint the eyes (Corax White and Abaddon Black), before glazing below the eyes with Cadian Fleshtone + Sotek Green. I then highlight the upper face and smooth any blends with the original mix (Cadian Fleshtone and Wraithbone). 





I used a Black Templars decal on the cloth and then painted over it to highlight it. I have seen people paint chaos stars and things on this cloth (presumably implying that he has picked a rag off his latest victim, but I couldn't see a veteran Black Templar sullying his blade on any old rag, and I like to imagine that he carries this cloth expressly for this purpose (hence my painting it blood red). 



And that's it! I love how this guy (and his whole squad) turned out, and we'll take a closer look at them next week, right here on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: 4000 Weeks - Oliver Burkeman
Watching: The Last of Us


Next Week:

Behold! The Bladeguard!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really