Parasitic carcasses of canines infested with maggots and flies.
Hello everyone! Welcome back to The Art of Caesura!
The end of summer is a very busy time in our household! Two of my daughters have their birthdays in August, and school starts back (my middle daughter is just starting "big school" this year). So things have felt like a whirlwind for the past couple of months.
Anyway, let us now turn our attention to these (not so) good lil' boys.
We're deep in the trenches now! We've been looking at my Cult of the Black Grail warband over the past couple of weeks and today we're going to look at one of the speediest members of the crew: The Black Grail Hounds.
Before we get started, I'll just address the elephant(iasis) in the room: I don't know what is up with their gigantic ball bags! I've looked it up (with regret), and I just dunno - I can't really find any reference as to why plague dogs would have enormous scrotums. So there. Actually, just to belabour this point a tiny bit more, they are one of the fastest units in the game - how the hell they are running so fast with this pendulous mass between their legs is beyond me!
Moving on.
I wanted to have a little variation in the skin of my units, so I decided to go darker with these guys. I started with an all over wash of Athonian Camoshade and then patches of Agrax Earthshade. This was instead of the oil washes that I did for the Thralls.
Then I started in on that big ol' scrote. I started with Carroburg Crimson and then painted the parts closest to the hound's body with Druchii Violet.
I felt things were going pretty "well" at this point, but I wanted the dog even darker, so I coated the whole thing with Jay, from Eons of Battle's favourite Contrast Paint: Ratling Grime. It was great!
And to bring the "fleshiness" back to the sac, I used Guilliman Flesh. I leveraged the tide-marks to look like veins.
Above, you can see the doggy with all the base colours in, now it was time to highlight!
I kept the highlights very simple: a nice, smooth, all-over dry-brushing of Cadian Fleshtone, followed by Ushabti Bone and then Wraithbone.
To finish the dogs off, I dropped by custom mix of Nuln Oil and Gloss Medium into the deepest crevices, just as I had done with the Thralls, It gives a "lovely" textural contrast.
Now, so! You wouldn't want to meet them in a dark trench, would you!?
See you next week right here on The Art of Caesura!
Watching: Traitors (Ireland - Season 2)
Reading: Nothing Has Happened to You - Rory Say (my brother!)
Next Week:
Dogs in the dark...












Comments
Post a Comment
Tell me all...