If they serve with distinction,
they may one day join the ranks
of the Infernal nobility.
Howdy Crusaders! Welcome back to The Art of Caesura!
Last week, we had a deep dive in to how I painted these guys, this week, let's just revel in their goriness!
Whilst gazing in horror at these Corpse Guards, let's discuss their role in the game. "Meta"-folk (those who want to create the most efficient - "best" - lists) will not be including Corpse Guard.
These guys are relatively expensive for what they bring to the table - they cost more than twice as much as the Thralls, and in terms of their stats (especially how I plan to use him) they are basically the same - one extra inch of movement.
The main reason that I am bringing one, is because I just think they look so damn cool, and rule of cool trumps all in my books!
So now that I'm dead-set on bringing one, I need to figure out how to make him work for me. And the inspiration came from their special ability: Black Grail Bodyguard. Basically, if they're within one inch of a friendly model, the Corpse Guard can take a hit (either ranged or melee) instead.
So, now his role is starting to materialize. I can see him walking up the board with the Lord of Tumors ready to throw himself into the line of fire to take a bullet or a sword strike for the boss.
The bodyguard ability on this guy, plus the Tough ability on the Lord of Tumors means extra ablative wounds, making him only more frustrating to take down.
The Corpse Guard has a bonus to melee attacks, but he's going to be palling around with the Lord of Tumors - that guy is one of the best melee combatants in the whole game, so I don't really need any more melee ability. So instead, I gave him the cheapest gun I could find - a musket.
Muskets are pretty crappy, but I only had 5 ducats left to spend, so it was either this or a blunderbuss. And while a blunderbuss sounds cooler, it only has 10" range, while the musket has 18". Being the melee beast that he is, I don't expect folks to want to get too close to the Lord of Tumors, so having those few extra inches to reach out and touch people (with cold, hard lead) might just plink on a blood marker prior to getting into close combat. Also the musket has a bayonet lug, so if I have a few ducats left over as the campaign progresses, I might be able to give him a cheap melee weapon after all.
So, in summary, the game plan so far is to have the Lord of Tumors and this Corpse Guard shamble up the battlefield, sit on an important objective, and say "come at me bro" to the enemy war-band. Meanwhile, my dogs and another yet-to-be-revealed element will speed up into the middle of the enemy and spread infection markers from the get-go. Finally, my Thralls will shamble around in pairs (making use of their Overwhelming Horde ability, where they get better when there's more of them close together) trying to claim objectives. Well, we'll see how that works out!
Anyway, don't look to me for sagacious tactics just yet; I still have yet to play a game, but hopefully that will change in the next few weeks.
Thank you, as always, for joining me here on The Art of Caesura! I'll see you next Friday for more!
Watching: The End of Oak St. (2026)
Reading: Nothing Has Happened to You - Rory Say
Listening: Krigsgaldr - Heilung
Next Week:
What's that buzzing sound?...











Comments
Post a Comment
Tell me all...