Skip to main content

"Sleeping in Limbo" - Lamias

Two thousand years ago these Vestals
were chosen from among the first daughters
of the highest patricians of ancient Tyr
to serve as sacrifices to Great Moloch.

- Cool Mini or Not


Ooogie boogie booooo!! Welcome to a ghostly post on The Art of Caesura!!

After Beefeater Zombies and then Dismembered Zombies, this week we're moving away from rotting flesh, but keeping in the undead spectrum. Today I have The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch's Lamias to show you.


The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch

I was familiar with the term Lamia (or Lahmia) from Games Workshop's acrylic medium "Lahmian Medium", and figured it had ghostly connotations, but on further research (i.e. wikidoodle), it turns out:

Lamia, in ancient Greek mythology, was a woman who became a child-eating monster after her children were destroyed by Hera, who learned of her husband Zeus' trysts with her. Hera also afflicted Lamia with sleeplessness so she would anguish constantly, but Zeus gave her the ability to remove her own eyes.

it goes on to say:

In later traditions and storytelling, the lamiai became a type of phantom, synonymous with the empusai which seduced youths to satisfy their sexual appetite and fed on their flesh afterward.

It turns out Keats even wrote a poem about the Greek philosopher Apollonius successfully resisting the seductions of a lamia. Here's a moment where she begins to turn on him: 

"Lamia!" he shriek'd; and nothing but the shriek
     With its sad echo did the silence break.
     "Begone, foul dream!" he cried, gazing again
     In the bride's face, where now no azure vein
     Wander'd on fair-spaced temples; no soft bloom
     Misted the cheek; no passion to illume
     The deep-recessed vision—all was blight;

     Lamia, no longer fair, there sat a deadly white.

- Keats "Lamia"

Anyway, let's get down to the lamias at hand!

The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch
credit: Cool Mini or Not

I have to say, as with some of the Rise of Moloch minis, the design of these models is great (and the master mini, which you can see below and at this link looks real good - aside from that huge join-line under her arms!) but they are really let down by their production quality. The mold-lines on the Lamias were a bit perplexing - running right down the middle of her thigh (when they had loads of great fabric folds to hide them in) and then a horizontal one going across the folds of fabric on the front of the model! Good grief! Even with dedicated cleaning, they are still pretty visible. Disappointing, as the design, like I said, is cool. 


The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch
Credit: Cool Mini or Not

I approached painting the Lamias using my Briar Queen to influence the colour palette. I wanted to keep them light to lean into the ethereal quality, so rather than giving them black dresses (like the official artwork above), or blue dresses (like the Briar Queen) I inverted the colours of the Briar Queen and made their dresses white and hooded cloaks blue. 

The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch

Starting from a Grey Seer spray undercoat, I actually painted their skin first. After a coat of Nihilakh Oxide, I shaded their skin with 1:4 Nuln Oil and (appropriately) Lahmian Medium. 

The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch

I further darkened their eye sockets with pure Nuln Oil, letting it run down their faces like emo tears. I then highlighted the skin with Nihilakh Oxide with a little White Scar added. Rather than dotting their eyes with white - as I did for the zombies - I kept them in black shadow, harkening back to the Greek myth above. 

The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch

With the skin complete, I painted their dresses with one coat of Contrast Apothecary White. Once dry I gave it a couple gentle highlights of thinned Grey Seer with more and more white added. 

The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch

The hooded cloak was similarly straight-forward. From Contrast Space Wolves Grey (which, despite carefully drawing away pools, dried a little messier than I would have hoped), I gave selective highlights on the top of the hood, where it gathers around the arms and where it attaches to the base with The Fang + White Scar.

The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch

The gold headpieces, necklaces, bracelets, and anklets (which you can see best in the first picture above) were Retributor Armour shaded with Nuln Oil. 

The World of Smog: Rise of Moloch

Despite being a little let down by their molds, these are still cool models. 

See you next Friday on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Kal Jericho Omnibus - Various
Watching: The Shannara Chronicles 


Next Week:

Buckle-up, sports fans...

Comments

  1. Thanks Health LINE. I assume this is spam, but it's nice spam so I'll keep it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov