Skip to main content

"The Assassin" - Dishonoured's Corvo

It’s a funny thing, ambition. 
It can take one to sublime heights 
or harrowing depths. And sometimes 
they are one and the same.

– Emily Kaldwin, Dishonored


Hello residents of Dunwall, I mean readers of The Art of Caesura!

After Scorpion last week, we're continuing with another video game-inspired mini. A few weeks ago I beat Dishonored, the video game. I know, I know, it's only been out for eight years, but anyway I only got to it now. I really really loved it. I loved the steampunk atmosphere where the world runs on whale oil and you can literally see ships bringing the poor creatures in to be processed...The art direction (stylized) means that graphically, the game has aged very well too. 


Dishonoured

Anyway, this post isn't a review of the game, but rather about an interesting miniature that I recently bought. The main character of Dishonored is an assassin named Corvo. If Ezio (from Assassin's Creed) existed in the Bioshock universe, you would have Corvo. For those only tangentially aware of the game, he's the guy with the cool metal skull mask on the box art. When I found a miniature of Corvo at Artel W. Miniatures I jumped at the opportunity!

Dishonoured

After Cherubael, this is my second Artel W. mini. I really love their minis and like how they design them to fit different IPs. On this one, for example, he came with some alternate parts so that you could change the bone charm on his chest for a 40k Inquisitor's Rosette and his crossbow for a holstered futuristic gun. 

Dishonoured

Oh man, just looking at the bare model above makes me want to paint him all over again! 

I started by finding a nice illustration online for reference: 

Dishonoured
Credit: tatianavetrova.com

Dishonoured

Anyway, such was my enthusiasm for this model, that I just launched in without mixing up any new colours. I painted his clothes The Fang and all his leather elements Doombull Brown.

Dishonoured

After that, his skin was Cadian Fleshtone, shirt White Scar and metal Runefang Steel and then coated the sword hilt with Contrast Snakebite Leather. The bone charms were Ushabti Bone. 

Dishonoured

Look how dynamic this model is! He reminds me of the Malifaux Death Marshals

For the shades, in an attempt to desaturate the model (or, more accurately, lower its chroma), I coated the whole thing (minus his hands) with Nuln Oil, the hands received a diluted Reikland Fleshshade wash. 

Dishonoured

I then started working on the base while waiting for the shades to dry.

Dishonoured

As with all my bases, I didn't want this one to detract too much from the model. I kept the majority of the base a neutral grey (Abaddon Black with multple dry-brushings with more White Scar added), and made the recessed bricks...brick coloured (Mephiston Red + Steel Legion Drab) as they appear in the game. 

Dishonoured

The clock face is the same muted gold that appears on Corvo's trim (Retributor Armour followed by a heavy wash of Nuln Oil). 

The final detail that appears on the base is my favourite: the little rat! Rats feature heavily in the game (both atmospherically and gameplay-wise). They are often obstacles to be overcome, and appear more frequently the more people you choose to kill rather than subdue by less violent means. In Dishonoured, the white rats however are your friends - you can possess them to scamper to areas you couldn't otherwise reach and even eat them for health...gulp!

So I decided to paint this little rat like one of the good'uns: White Scar fur, Cadian Fleshtone tail all coated in Nuln Oil (with the rest of the base) and then gently re-highlighted with the base colours to keep him dingy looking. 

Dishonoured

By the time I finished the base, the shades on Corvo himself were dry so I went back to start on his highlights. 

Dishonoured

As a general rule, from the shade layer, I typically start the first layer of highlight with a diluted (with lahmian medium) version of the original base colour. On sharper surfaces (hard leather) I dilute the paint less and on softer surfaces (cloth) I dilute the paint more - to a glaze consistency (the consistency of milk). 

Glazes are something that I am still getting better at all the time, but something that really helped was when I got the idea to start with a blob of Lahmian Medium on my palette (administered by the 'other' end of my brush) and then add a tiny amount of paint to this rather than the other way around. For some reason doing it like this really helped me get my head around the glaze consistency thing. 

Dishonoured

As another general rule, when I'm highlighting, if I want to keep the original colour vibrant, I use a lighter version of the colour if it is in the cold spectrum, or a bit of yellow if it is in the warm spectrum. 

Dishonoured

I'm going to interject myself here just to say that I am planning to do a few posts on art and colour theory (subjects that I really enjoy) so don't worry if some of this is a little bit dense for right now. 

Dishonoured

Anyway, if I want to highlight a model and make it look more dingy/gritty/"realistic" (this is typically my preference) then rather than highlighting with a brighter version of the colour (or yellow), I highlight with white. This pushes the highlights more towards grey - muting the overall effect.

Dishonoured

So, for this guy, I took the latter approach, I started by highlighting his robes with diluted The Fang and built up thin layers slowly adding slightly more white for each layer. 

Dishonoured

I continued with this process - applying the first highlight of each colour - by simply using a diluted version of the original base colour. Because the base colours were all darkened by the Nuln Oil, this provided a sufficient first highlight. 

Dishonoured

The gold trim was just highlighted with Retributor Armour and metal bits with Runefang Steel. 

Dishonoured

I'll end with a few more shot of this awesome model:

Dishonoured

Dishonoured

Dishonoured

Please let me know what you think of Corvo. I'm really happy with him, he came together nicely in a quick burst of enthusiasm.

I'll see you next week right here on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Kal Jericho Omnibus - Various
Watching: Baldur's Gate III gameplay
Gaming: Pillars of Eternity


Next Week:

The changing of the guard...

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this! My Corvo figure recently arrived and I can't wait to assemble it and go out to buy the paints you used :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aleks!
      Thanks so much for your comment, sorry for my slow reply - I have been travelling and away from my computer.

      I really loved painting this guy! He even made it into the list of the favourite miniatures that I painted that year! (https://the-art-of-caesura.blogspot.com/2021/01/happy-5th-birthday.html)

      Have fun with him! If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer, and I'd love to see your finished guy once you get him done!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (