Skip to main content

"Altdorf Acolytes" - Blood Bowl Human Team - Part I

Although Human teams do not have the individual strengths 
or outstanding abilities available to other races, 
they do not suffer from any outstanding weakness either. 
This makes Human teams extremely flexible, 
equally at home running the ball, passing it, 
or ignoring it and pounding the opposition into the turf instead!

- Blood Bowl Rule Book

Hello sports fans!! Welcome to an action-packed week on The Art of Caesura!

After years of owning the game and playing it with my wife, I've finally painted my first Blood Bowl team!! I've previously posted about how I made all my Blood Bowl bases as well as the Halfling and Goblin Refs, but now it's time to look at my first painted team: the humans. 


Reikland Reavers

Painting 12 models at once was quite an undertaking for me and has happily occupied me for the past few weeks. Today we'll look at the kit-bashing and painting of these models and next week we'll do a showcase of the completed team. And we're off!


Blood Bowl

The box-set comes with 6 pairs of miniatures. I wanted each of mine to look individual without too much converting so I opted for headswaps. I started by carefully removing the heads of all the duplicates (with much swearing and gnashing of teeth - see my post on Yar Umbra for more details on this). This was trickier than expected, with their big pauldrons in the way making it impossible to get clippers in there. 

Blood Bowl

Next came the fun part of selecting replacement heads. I went back to near the beginning of my hobby journey to the 6th Edition Warhammer Fantasy starter set (...I will finish it someday...). I took a bunch of appropriate Empire heads as well as a few Goliath heads (from Necromunda) which I think suited the meathead jock look. 

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

I even went to the trouble of drilling out the Blitzer's old head to make it look like an empty helmet (but it turned out that when I glued it back onto his belt you can't see the interior - oh well, we know it's there...

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

With heads firmly attached, it was on to the painting. From a black undercoat, I started with the undersuits which I painted in the same way as those of my Kharadron Overlords: namely Ushabti Bone -> Agrax Earthshade -> Ushabti Bone. 

Blood Bowl

Next came the skin and I tried a new trick: I painted the skin Cadian Fleshtone, but rather than shading with Reikland Fleshshade (as I would usually do for Caucasian skin) I shaded with Contrast Guilliman Flesh vastly thinned with Contrast Medium (1:5 paint to medium). I really like how this turned out, to me it looks more natural and less ruddy than the Reikland mix. 

For the faces on the (now) helmet-less players, I added a few layers of highlights with Scale 75's Basic Flesh with a bit of Pale Flesh added. 

Onwards to the armour!

Blood Bowl

This was the part I'd really been waiting for! I knew I wanted to paint my team like the Reikland Reavers in the Blood Bowl 2 video game - namely with blue-chrome armour. Researching how I would obtain this effect, I had looked into Scale 75's and also Turbo Dork's metallic range but never took the plunge. Now that I've had a good bit of experience with Contrast Paints I wanted to try enlisting them for such an application.


Blood Bowl

I started by painting ALL the metal bits on the models Leadbelcher. And then I hit a huge roadblock. I couldn't decide whether Contrast Talassar Blue looked better over Leadbelcher (slightly darker and more gritty) or over Stormhost Silver (brighter and maybe more cartoony). I did a test on the lineman below, his left knee pad is over Stormhost and right is over Leadbelcher). After sleeping on it for a few days, I ended up settling on the brighter of the two; although it is not my personal style, I felt like it would suit a bombastic game like Blood Bowl better and really pop on the pitch. 

Blood Bowl

So I went back and painted all of the areas that would be chrome blue with Stormhost Silver, keeping the bits that would stay steel-coloured (the spikes etc.) Leadbelcher. I then finished off the bare metal bits with a Nuln Oil wash and highlight of Runefang Steel. 

Then came the fun part! I coated all of the Stormhost Silver bits with Contrast Talassar Blue. Compared to painting 12 guys worth of silver tones (twice!) this step was really quick and yet totally changed the appearance of the team. Because the Contrast Paint has a satin finish, this gave a really nice soft metallic glow. I was thrilled with how this effect worked out, they were starting to come together now!

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Now that the vibrant, metallic blue was in place, it was just about adding in the last few details: the red arm wrappings, chest tie, gloves and socks (Mephiston Red with Carroburg Crimson wash), black shoes (Abaddon Black with Ushabti Bone "Adidas" stripes), and beige stripes on the thrower and catchers' helmets.

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

The balls were a 50:50 mix of Doom Bull Brown and Skrag Brown shaded with Agrax Earthshade.

Blood Bowl

For this catcher's feathers on his illustrious hat, I started by painting them Stormhost Silver then painted the red ones Contrast Fleshtearers Red and the white ones Contrast Apothecary White. 

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

And the non-metallic padding (the thigh pads on throwers and catchers and shin-guards on blitzers) were Altdorf Guard Blue shaded with straight Talassar Blue

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

I wanted to differentiate the Blitzers (below) from the linesmen (above), so painted more of their armour bare metal and the trim on their pauldrons and crest on their helmets bronze (Leadbelcher covered with Contrast Snakebite Leather). 

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

The last huge part was applying the decals, and the resultant need to varnish the models but I'll dedicate a whole post to that process in a couple weeks. 

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

I started with the decal for the number on their back...

Blood Bowl

...Then I put one on each pauldron and on on the chest. By this point I was going hog wild for decals and added one to the left thigh of my test model...

Blood Bowl

...but I decided it looked a bit too busy, so I just painted over it using the same process listed above for the armour: Leadbelcher...

Blood Bowl

...then Stormhost Silver...

Blood Bowl

...then Talassar Blue. Aaaand good as new, no harm no foul!

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

As I mentioned, I will dedicate a post to talking about applying decals and varnishing, but a summary of the varnishing process for these guys, was that I coated the whole completed model with gloss varnish. Once this was dry, I then coated all areas except the armour with satin varnish (Stormsheild). Finally I coated all cloth areas with Lahmian Medium for a matte effect. 

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

After I finished the team and took a bunch of "studio" photos, I decided to add the pitch line-markings. I felt like these would just be quick details to further ground the models in Blood Bowl.


Painting the lines was super easy. I just painted a matchstick and pressed it onto the base. Done!



Huzzah! My first Blood Bowl team is complete! Let me know what you think of the chrome effect achieved with Contrast Paints.

Tune in to The Art of Caesura next week when we take a proper look at the finished product. And in the meantime, why not bust out Blood Bowl for a few matches of this brilliant beer and pretzels game for those in home isolation. I've found it's a pretty friendly game for non-gamers as well! 


Reading: The Porpoise - Mark Haddon
Watching: Les Miserables - Tom Hooper


Next Week:

Spotlight on the players...

Comments

  1. Nice team there matey! Love a bit of BB and have a soft spot for human teams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Howie!

      Thanks so much! Yeah, BB is such a fun and hectic game. I too have a soft spot for the humans (and they have many soft spots on the pitch - especially the catchers - crunch!)

      I took a look at your blog (https://davesgang.blogspot.com/) and it looks awesome! I love the old Necromunda models you're working on at the moment - fantastic!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov