Skip to main content

"Up, Up, and Away!" - Skyriggers - Part I

These skyborne, science-wielding
duardin ply the skies in gun-laden
ships in search of plunder and profit



Ahoy-hoy and welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

Although last week's post may have seemed out of the (deep) blue (sea), long time readers might recognize that the subject matter for today's and last week's posts are actually very closely connected...

Anyway, crypticness aside, today we're looking at the Skyfarers that I've been working on for the past few weeks. Today we'll be focusing on my near miss with insanity that was magnetizing these guys and painting them. Next week we'll have a grand unveiling of the finished dudes!


If I ever get to play Age of Sigmar, I'd like to be able to use my Balloon Boys as either Skywardens (because they look cooler) or Endrinriggers (because they're better in the game), and with only a head- and arm-swap holding me back (nevermind those pesky sky-mines) I didn't think this would be too big an ask. 


I started with the Sergeant (Misenmaster etc.) I drilled out his neck and arms and superglued in some magnets, then did the same with the various heads and arms he might have - mind the polarities!


Once I did this I realized that I'd made a fatal error...or more accurately...misjudgment. I realized that he would have four possible heads: two "leader" heads, and two standard heads (skywarden and endrinrigger heads) and four possible arms. That meant that for any configuration there would be 5 painted and magnetized pieces that wouldn't be used. That would be manageable for one model, but for three? FIFTEEN extras! Plus I find it quite time consuming painting in sub-assemblies like this. 




I spent a while considering my options and eventually decided to postpone my decision. After extensively magnetizing the leader, I decided to do the other two as the special weapons options that are shared amongst the Skywardens and Endrinriggers. This would mean that I would just have to magnetize (and paint) the different head options. Technically the Skywardens also have skymines, but these looked too tricky to magnetize so I just left them off. 


The colour scheme is basically the Barak Mhornar one from the Kharadron Overlords Army Book - the one I have used for all of my KO

Here's the recipe:

Base Colours:
Under-suit: Ushabti Bone
Armour: Stegadon Scale Green
Copper: Screaming Bell
Steel: Leadbelcher
Brown: 2:1 mix of Doombull Brown + Abaddon Black
Aether-effects: White Scar
Rope: Averland Sunset

Effects:
Aether-effects: cover white with 1:4 Contrast Talassar Blue : Contrast Medium

Shades:
Under-suit, Copper, Brown, Rope, Brass: Agrax Earthshade
Armour, Steel: Nuln Oil

Highlights:
Under-suit: Ushabti Bone + White Scar
Armour: Stegadon Scale Green + Sotek Green then adding Lothern Blue
Copper: Hashut Copper + Stormhost Silver. 
Steel: Runefang Steel + Stormhost Silver
Brown: 2:1 mix of Doombull Brown + Ushabti Bone
Rope: Averland Sunset + Ushabti Bone


The closest reference model I had was my Drakkskewer from Thundrik's Profiteers who I had an awful lot of fun painting. 




I enjoyed painting each of these guys' balloons with a different predominant colour to mix up the look of the unit a bit. 


On to the highlights and piping! I painted all the piping and aether-effects bits white in anticipation of a thinned layer of Talassar Blue and began on the meditative process of highlighting the blue. 


More than any other stage of painting my Kharadron Overlords, I find highlighting the blue to be a true joy. I can just get in a flow state and dab smaller and smaller highlights on armour panels. I guess that's why people like painting Space Marines so much!



I realize now that I didn't take any work-in-progress shots of painting the details. But around this time I like to paint all the compasses and gauges (there are loads of them!) with a white face and just pool a little Mephiston Red into the recessed "danger" zone. I paint the "flint" on their guns with Gaussblaster Green, and finish off using some of the AK Interactive weathering pencils mostly for rust effects - which you shall see next week. 


Work in progress on all the heads...


Next week we'll have a huge showcase of the finished Skyfarers, but first I shall leave you with one image, giving you an idea of how last week's post ties in...


Thanks for coming by, I'll see you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: The Queen's Gambit
Reading: Paradise Lost - John Milton


Next Week:

It's a bird...it's a plane...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov