Skip to main content

"Once Upon a Midnight Dreary" - The Unkindness on PC

“Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!” I shrieked, upstarting—
“Get thee back into the tempest and the Night’s Plutonian shore!
    Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
    Leave my loneliness unbroken!—quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!”
            Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”

- "The Raven" - Edgar Allen Poe

Welcome fellow Caesurians to another Friday on The Art of Caesura!

We're taking a brief respite from the dark gloomy depths of the Blackstone Fortress, to return, once again, to the dark gloomy depths of Necromunda. Cheery place the 41st millennium is!

This post is a long time coming, but it has finally been given a shove of impetus by the recent release of the video game Necromunda: Hired Gun. 

So, last year a different Necromunda video game came out, Necromunda: Underhive Wars. I enjoyed the campaign, but my enjoyment was certainly stymied by the many bugs (some of which were progress-halting, but many of which have since been patched). Something I really loved about the game though was the character creator. 

Like Day9, I like to spend ages and ages getting every detail of my character just the way I want them for RPGs, and this time I got to do it across a whole gang! So obviously I re-created my tabletop gang "The Unkindness" in digital format. 


The customization options available in the videogame are not limitless, but I still think I was able to catch the essence of some of my tabletop gangers. 


First up: Trixy


Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Elements of note for Trixy, aside from her matching blue colour palette (even on her guns), off-white leggings, and distinctive white hair (elements that I matched for each ganger) are her re-breather mask, her forearm bracer on her left arm and studded "boot"/ legging (though it is on the wrong leg).




Necromunda: Underhive Wars

I couldn't get Poe as close as I would have liked. I did get her a plasma pistol and close combat weapon, and armour on her left arm and shoulder, and her choker necklace like on her model. 




Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Like the model, I really love how Nevermore turned out! Although I couldn't get the same war paint on her face, I actually love the nods to the model: the re-breather, the matching loincloth, even down to the finger-less gloves and metal ring at the front of her hair. 





Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Necromunda: Underhive Wars

For Koronis, I managed to retain the ponytail, right shoulder pauldron, and even the chems and grenades on the back of her belt. Again, the eye-makeup / warpaint is different but present in both versions. 



Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Last but not least we have the leader of the gang - you know her well - she's finally back to kick some tail. Her coconut gun can fire in spurts, if she shoots ya, it's gonna hurt...sorry got a bit carried away there. Anyway, The Crone. Although, on first glace, she may not seem to resemble her model as closely as some of the others, I think that's mainly because of the jacket on her miniature version changing the silhouette of the model a bit. If you imagine her without her jacket I think she's actually pretty close. 

Starting from the top, I managed to work some feathers into her hair, she has the animal skull on her right shoulder, I couldn't get a gold palette in the game, so I settled with yellow. She has the studded legging-thing and I was happy that her warpaint / facial tattoos are actually pretty close too! And most importantly, in both cases, she looks like she's ready to mess you up!


And here's a group shot of The Unkindness - menaces in both physical and virtual underhives!

Thanks for tuning in, I'll see you guys next week on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Outpost (2008)
Reading: Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel


Next week: 

Keeping it digital in Hive Primus...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (