Skip to main content

"Build a Wall" - Oathsworn Walls

 All in all you're just another brick in the wall. 

- Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd 


Hi-dee-ho neighbors!

I hope this Friday finds you well, and that you're pickin' up the positive vibes that I'm sending your way!

Today's post is...well...it's possible that it's not the most riveting subject matter today (especially after the Wyrm that we've been looking at over the past few weeks). But it's no less important to the atmosphere of the game!

Today we're looking at some of the terrain that comes with Oathsworn: the walls!


I painted these walls quickly, using several tricks to speed things along. I will draw your attention back to a post that I made just over a year ago about the importance of being able to shift gears in painting. It is great to lavish hours over each detail of a lovely model (as I like to do for my Black Templars characters). But, in my mind, it is also vital to be able to whip up a quick paint job, that you are happy with, so that you can get playing! Today is about the latter approach. 

I actually painted these walls while I was waiting for various parts of the Wyrm to dry. Efficiency by concurrency and all that!


Rather than a mid-tone grey, I started from a very light grey (a zenithal prime of Chaos black and then Grey Seer sprays). This gave some nice definition to the craggy stones.

Next, I painted all of the mossy bits with diluted Death Guard Green. I slapped this on with a large (No. 5) sized brush. 


Then out came the airbrush and on went the Athonian Camoshade. As you can see, I aimed at the bottom half of the walls. This was followed by a spray of Agrax Earthshade onto the lower quarter of the walls and into the deepest crevices. 



The only other thing I did on these was to pop some of the Dirty Down Moss effects onto some of the mossy areas. 


All in all, all 6 walls only took about an hour (or 10min per wall) and that was while I was painting the Wyrm too!


Don't get me wrong. I know that rocks are rarely just pure grey. If you actually pick up a rock and closely examine it you'll be amazed at the colours that are there: earthy browns and greens, but also reds and purples depending on the composition. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't going for Golden Demon level painting here, I was just trying to get 'er done to a level that I would be happy with. 

If I were to add one last quick step, it would be to apply an oil wash of dark brown to add another element and define some of the cracks between rocks. 

So maybe walls can be interesting! I'll see you for more next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: The Midnight Library - Matt Haig


Next Week:

Friends in the Deepwood...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really