Skip to main content

Painting with Aodhán

Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, 
and a push in the right direction. 

- John Crosby


Hello one and all, welcome back to The Art of Caesura! 

Today we're going to take a quick break from all of the Hellboy that I have been painting recently to take a look at a cool landmark in my hobby journey last month. But just before we do, seeing as how we've been covering so much Hellboy content recently, I just wanted to let you know about an insane Humble Bundle running at the moment for PDFs of ALL of the Hellboy and BPRD graphic novels! For 30 euro! Now, onto the good stuff. 

For the first time, I'm helping someone get into the hobby! My friends, Ruairí and Vanessa, have an eight year-old son, Aodhán, who has been playing fairly involved board games for years and has begun to show a keen interest in Warhammer 40k. My heart melted with joy when I heard this! 

I still remember my first fledgling steps into the hobby and I think many of us remember "that person" who we look back on fondly as the person who helped us out in getting started in this wonderful hobby. Now is my chance to be "that person"!! So I didn't want to mess it up!

Luckily, the kid is already hooked. He has picked the implacable Ultramarines as his faction of choice, and though I lent him the codex and rulebook, he has already gone out and got his own copies to pour through - and pour through he does! Vanessa told me that story times have evolved into them reading him excerpts from the books and back issues of White Dwarf - photo captions and all! And that brushing teeth now involves watching 40k battle reports! I love it. 

For our first hobby meet-up I thought it would be fun to have a painting session (painting being the aspect of the hobby that I most enjoy and the aspect that I felt I could be most helpful with). Prior to our session, Aodhán and Ruairí had practiced a bit with paint consistency, but I don't believe he had actually painted a full model up to that point. So I set my goal for our session to be him getting to walk away with a fully painted mini that he could be proud of, in an amount of time befitting the attention-span of an active 8 year-old - and being cognizant that the Vanessa was earning her halo by entertaining her daughter and two of my daughters while us guys got our hobby on!


I had prepared for the session by getting some of those 5-packs of synthetic brushes from the dollar store for Aodhán and Ruairí  (those are the very brushes that I use). I set up a couple dry palettes (zip lock bags) for them and had cleaned, assembled, primed, and undercoated 3 intercessors. And away we went!


I apologize that this has been a text-heavy post. But I was so preoccupied, trying to ensure that everything was working out and that everyone was having a good time that I forgot to take many pictures of the actual process, but don't worry, I did get our finished minis. 


So first up (and most importantly) is Aodhán's very first fully painted Warhammer model! I think it looks awesome, and I especially like the black helmet crest! Even more importantly, I think he had fun!


Reflecting back on my role that day, I think I was perhaps a little too goal-oriented rather than being more process-oriented. What I mean by that, is that my main objective was for Aodhán to have a great time and get to go home with 3 cool, fully-painted Ultramarines to fuel the grá for painting. I didn't really give much tutelage, per se, except to reinforce ideas of thinning paint, layering and brush control and discussing order of operations, and which areas might be which colours. 



Ruairí and I popped the decals on at the end, but Aodhán did literally everything else in about 40 minutes:


***

Next up is Ruairí's Ultramarine. Now, Ruairí has painted a few minis in his time. He has painted minis from a few board games and, I believe, a Guild Ball team back in the day. But it had been many years since he had last painted, and I don't think he had ever painted any Space Marines.


It is a really nice, clean model and his brush control really shows - I mean look at the cleanliness of the tiny Imperialis on the Bolt Rifle! From the Macragge Blue basecoat, he used an all over wash of (I believe) Army Painter Strong Tone which provided some nice depth and panel lining.


The now darker blue provided the perfect foundation to layer back in with Macragge blue to give some depth to the armour. We discussed volumatic vs. edge highlighting and I think he did an awesome job of this, especially on the head, back pack and legs.


 I think my advice on consistency of paint was a tiny bit off - I think he would have had even more success and ease of application if I had encouraged him to thin the paints slightly more. 


***

And lastly...yours truly. I had never painted an Ultramarine before, but I was looking forward to it. I went into it with the intention of painting it using the exact same techniques that I use for my Black Templars, just with a different colour palette - and I think I succeeded.


From my Macragge Blue base coat, I dropped Doom Bull Brown and then Skrag Brown into the crevices, which worked as nicely against the complimentary blue armour as it does against my usual black. 


I then started stippling on lighter and lighter blues, moving up through Vallejo's Magic Blue and Citadel's Lothern Blue. My red recipe was the same as always: Mephiston Red then Contrast Fleshtearers Red, back to Mephiston for some stippled on weathering, and then Evil Sunz Scarlet. I've always wanted to paint my take on that classic Ultramarine look with the red weapons, and now I got to! 


For the metals, I used Vallejo Metal Colour Dark Aluminum, and for the gold trim and Imperialis I just coated this silver tone with Contrast Snakebite Leather. Looking at the model now, I would actually change the Chainsword Grip tape. This is how I paint it on my Templars (Screamer Pink with Nuln Oil) and I think it works pretty well, but on the Ultramarines there are a few too many competing bright primary colours to make room for this bright hue, so instead I would probably opt for a dark, cool brown tone. 


Speaking of brown tones, his hair is Mournfang Brown and skin is Cadian Fleshtone washed with Contrast Guilliman Flesh and highlighted with Cadian Fleshtone again. 

As I said, he was completed in around about an hour, and it was great fun applying my painting techniques to a different colour scheme. I would love to do an Imperial Fist in this style...I'll have to find an excuse!


All-in-all it was a great day and I can't wait for the next one. It was an honour being that guy for someone getting into the hobby. 

Thanks for tuning in, and I'll see you next week right here on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: The Invitation (2022) - Jessica M. Thompson


Next Week: 

Found on Gamefound...

Comments

  1. Thank you so much Ryan, Aodhán had such a great day with you it has fueled his love for warhammer even more and he is reading his codex and white dwarf magazines every morning with breakfast and now runs upstairs at night to brush his teeth and watch some tabletop👏👏 He recently needed 4 dental fillings (not his fault but some enamel was missing from these teeth at birth) and the only thing that cheered him up afterwards was a trip to the guild hall for another figure.❤️ Ruairi is also hooked and has started collecting Tyranids. Thank you for a wonderful day and being such a great mentor and introducing Aodhan to such an exciting hobby. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Yay! What an absolute joy it was! I can't wait for the next one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really